A framework for understanding area-based decentralisation
- HAMBLETON Robin, HOGGETT Paul, BURNS Danny
- Journal article citation:
- Local Government Policy Making, 20(4), March 1994, pp.5-12.
- University of Birmingham. Institute of Local Government Studies
Proposed an ideal-type model of decentralisation which consists of five interlocking and mutually reinforcing elements : localisation, flexibility, devolved management, organisational culture change, and democratisation. Five possible objectives for decentralisation are also expounded: improving services, strengthening local accountability, achieving distributional aims, encouraging political awareness, developing staff, and controlling costs.
- Subject terms:
- local government, local government policy, management, models, organisational culture, organisational structure, policy, budgetary control, change management, decentralisation;
- Journal home page
- ISSN print: