Help searching Social Care Online
Search Social Care Online using the standard search or the advanced search.
Using Social Care Online: an overview
View or download 'Social Care Online: an overview (ppt)' powerpoint presentation providing an overview of the key features of Social Care Online and how to use them.
- Type your search query into the search box. The drop down list offers suggestions for you to use or you can use your own search words.
- Search results are ranked by relevance and the search terms used are highlighted in the results
- You can refine your search results by the following criteria: full text, format type, content type, publication year, subject term, author, editor, location.
Hint: When searching for an author, type the author’s surname in first.
Note: " " (speech marks) indicate that a phrase search will be carried out, e.g . “dementia care”
- Login or register to use advanced search.
- Advanced search allows you to build up complex search queries, save searches, export search results and set up email alerts.
Viewing search results
Each record has a symbol to indicate the type of resource it is and if it freely available or not.
Journal articles: Articles from journals (peer-reviewed and non peer reviewed), magazines and newsletters.
Books: Books and reports available in print or online via the internet. Includes commercially published material, government publications, research reports, pamphlets, and briefing papers.
Digital media: Multi-media and none print media eg. SCIE SCTV films, e-learning material and interactive online resources. CDs and DVDs are also included.
Extended abstract: This type of abstract gives more detail and is structured using the headings: summary, method, contents, conclusion(s) and references; and in the case of systematic reviews additional information includes: context, authors' conclusions and implications for policy and practice.
Journal: Journal records provide a short description of the coverage of a title and provide a link to the home page of the journal, magazine or newsletter when available.